30 Second Summary
- Your email list is one of the most valuable assets an e-commerce brand can have & building your email list is the first step to effective email marketing.
- Don't make the mistake of building an email list just for the sake of it. You don't just want a list of emails, you want a list of potential customers.
- At a minimum, make sure you have a welcome opt in form, exit intent opt in form, footer signup form, and a sign up form at checkout to capture email subscribers
- Advanced strategies to collect email addresses like lead magnets, quizzes, paid ads, as well as partnerships and giveaways, are other ways to grow your email list
- Regularly clean out your email list, especially for lower-quality leads, and track key metrics such as list growth percentage, unsubscribe percentage, and engagement percentage to measure your success and optimize your email marketing
If you're just getting ready to launch your e-commerce store, or you're new to email marketing, building your email list is an important first step. Your email list is one of the most valuable assets your brand can have to nurture, convert & retain customers to grow your brand.
Most e-commerce brands acquire 50-75%+ of their email list through website pop-ups and checkout processes, but we'll also share a few other advanced strategies to building your email list. One of the most important things to remember when it comes to building your email list is this:
Quality > quantity. You don't just want a list of emails, you want a list of potential customers.
This means you want a list of leads who are genuinely interested in your products & brand, and will likely become customers if they haven't made a purchase already. Keep reading to learn how to build your email list for your e-commerce brand from scratch!
Basics of Email List Growth
Platforms like Shopify usually have this feature built-in as part of the check out form. Once customers provide their email addresses during the checkout process, they should be directed to the Post-Purchase Nurture flow which is series of emails focused on enhancing their post-purchase experience, cross-selling customers and increasing your repeat purchase rate.
Advanced Email Growth Strategies
The key to successful partnerships and giveaways is to select products and partners that align with your target audience's interests and preferences. For example, you don't want to run a giveaway for an iPad if you sell clothes. You may get be successful in collecting email addresses, but most of those people aren't your target audience and won't convert into paying customers.
Also keep in mind that giveaways often attract a lower quality email list consisting of individuals primarily interested in free products. These subscribers may not convert into customers, so it's important to balance the benefits and risks associated with this strategy.
Other Email List Growth Tips
Building a successful email list starts with implementing the basics to capture the email addresses of your website visitors and customers automatically. Once you have your welcome pop-up forms, exit intent pop-ups, website footers, and checkout opt-ins, you have a strong foundation for list growth.
However, to truly grow your email list & attract new subscribers, incorporating advanced strategies like lead magnets, quizzes, social media and paid ads, as well as partnerships and giveaways is important.
Lastly, don't forget to regularly clean out your list, especially for leads acquired through giveaways, to maintain list quality. Key metrics to measure your success include email list growth percentage, unsubscribe percentage, and engagement percentage.
By consistently monitoring and optimizing these metrics, you can continue to refine and improve your email list growth strategies, ultimately building a valuable asset that drives business growth and convert more customers.