30 Second Summary
If you're a DTC e-commerce brand owner, take a moment and think about the first few emails a customer receives after making a purchase. We're not talking about transactional emails like an Order Confirmation email, but rather a Post-Purchase Nurture Flow. In all of our audits for e-commerce stores, the Post-Purchase Nurture Flow is one of the most underused yet vital components for customer retention.
Why is it so essential? Well, the best way to keep your customers in the long run is to keep them happy at each stage of their customer journey. This starts with ensuring they have a great first experience with your brand and products, so they return as a repeat customer.
That's where creating an epic post purchase flow that nurtures new customers & builds brand loyalty comes in. An effective Post-Purchase Flow is an important part of increasing your customer lifetime value & growing your e-commerce store by:
- Getting Customers to Return: Retaining existing customers is cheaper than acquiring new customers and your post purchase emails drive repeat sales through creating a great first purchase experience
- Speeding Up Next Purchases: Reducing the time between a customer's first and second purchase, or subsequent orders, thus encouraging more frequent buying.
- Boosting Recurring Subscriptions: Increasing the percentage of customers who go on to become recurring subscription customers to stabilize your revenue stream.
- Introducing Other Products: Generating product awareness & the adoption of various products within your line by introducing products throughout the customer lifecycle
- Spurring Word of Mouth: Getting customer reviews, referrals and social media mentions to drive more brand awareness, traffic, and new customers.
Long story short, the Post-Purchase Nurture Flow isn't a trivial "feel good" aspect of your email marketing; it's a pivotal part of your customer journey to retain customers, increase customer lifetime value (LTV) and drive repeat purchases. Whether you are just launching your e-commerce store or dipping your toes into email marketing for the first time, we're giving you the "Zero-To-Launch" approach to launching a Post-Purchase Nurture Flow to create a great customer experience-- no fluff, be confident in its performance & one you can optimize later with A/B testing.
Check out our DTC Flow Foundations Guide to learn how to build a Post-Purchase Nurture Flow to build long-lasting relationships with your customers & turning them into raving fans with:
- The 6 questions to ask before planning your post-purchase nurture strategy
- Why your post-purchase nurture flow is one of the most important retention strategies for DTC brands
- How to use your post-purchase nurture flow to retain customers and get more repeat purchases
- How to set up delays, triggers, and filters for an effective post-purchase nurture flow.
The Klaviyo Post Purchase Flow Setup
Your Klaviyo Post-Purchase Flow should be sent immediately after a customer makes a purchase. A typical post purchase flow should start with at least three emails sent over a span of 7-10 days. Aim to have 1-2 emails sent before their order arrives, and 1-2 emails sent after their order arrives.
Advanced Tip: Segmenting your Post-Purchase Flow with flow filters in Klaviyo for different customer types creates a more personalized customer journey:
- Returning Customer: These customers have bought from you multiple times & are already familiar with your brand. Thank them for their ongoing purchases, introduce them to a loyalty program and send them a review request.
- Subscribers: These are some of your most loyal customers since they've signed up for a recurring subscription. One of the biggest mistakes e-commerce brands make is sending these customers too many cross-sell or promotional emails which can create a negative customer experience.
- By Product Type: Different products often appeal to different customer segments. Customizing post-purchase content based on the type of product purchased allows you to resonate more with the customer’s specific interests and needs.
Types Of Post Purchase Emails
There are lots of different ways to approach your post purchase emails since it depends on how customers engage with your brand. Do they want to learn from you? Do they want to know more about your shared values or how your product is made?
Different types of emails within your Post Purchase Flow also serve various roles, from saying thank you, to educating customers about your products:
- Thank You Letter: A personalized Thank You Letter creates an immediate connection with the customer, expressing gratitude for their purchase. It’s the first step in making them feel valued and appreciated, fostering a sense of loyalty to your brand.
- About Your Brand: An email about your brand, highlighting its mission, values, or unique story, helps customers connect emotionally. By sharing what your brand stands for, you align them with your ethos and build a deeper connection.
- Product Education: Product Education emails provide detailed tips and guides on using the product, enhancing the customer's experience and confidence in their purchase. This approach minimizes confusion and frustration, adding value to their buying experience.
- Content: Sharing engaging Content like relevant blogs, videos, or insights related to the purchased product adds value beyond the transaction. It encourages further engagement with your brand and keeps customers entertained and informed.
- Customer Service Check-In: A personalized CX Check-In inquires about the customer’s experience with the product and requests feedback. This not only makes customers feel heard and valued but also offers opportunities to address concerns and gather insights for continuous improvement.
- Cross-Sell Email: Cross-Sell emails recommend complementary products based on previous purchases, encouraging customers to explore more within your product line. This not only enhances their experience with your brand but potentially increases their lifetime value. You can start with just a single cross-sell email or build Klaviyo cross-sell flows.
Post Purchase Email Examples
Here are a few different post purchase email examples from a variety of DTC e-commerce brands that you can build in the Klaviyo email builder:
So that's it! Start by setting up a basic Post-Purchase Nurture Flow by choosing the three most important things a customer should know about your brand or hear from you after they make their initial purchase. You can always refine, optimize, and A/B test down the line.
A great Post-Purchase Nurture Flow doesn't just thank your customers; it builds customer loyalty by building a deeper connection with your brand, educating them about other products, and sets the stage for future purchases.
Don't have the time? Get it all done-for-you with our Zero-To-Launch package where we'll build all of the key automated email flows your e-commerce brand needs for launch.